Tuesday, October 13, 2009

FamilyLife's Weekend to Remember

Pete and I spent this past weekend at FamilyLife's Weekend to Remember conference in Memphis.  First of all- it was amazing.  Eye opening.  Marriage changing.  I learned so many wonderful tools to apply to my everyday that have changed my whole outlook on my marriage!!


The very first night, I learned that we were either on the path to oneness or to the broken road of isolation.  That made me think- this is it...one shot at marriage.  Divorce is not an option.  Make it count.  I was thirsty for more.  I learned that there is no way to change Pete (now I've learned that I don't even want to!!).  The only heart I can change is mine.  Instead of tearing up my ideal fantasy marriage (yeah right, huh) I was tearing down my mate.  Why had I never realized this?!  Good stuff!!!  I had been a self centered wife.  Now I know to focus on my marriage and be content with it.  PETE IS MY GIFT FROM GOD!!! Praise the Lord because Pete is such a wonderful man and husband!!


Second, I learned to think before I speak and speak in a way that encourages Pete. 


     Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
Ephesians 4:29


This is my prayer!!  God is working in my life at every moment to help me build Pete up.

There is so much more that I learned, I can't even explain!  Every couple needs to go to this conference, whether you have a "perfect 10" relationship, or are on the brink of disaster.  Luckily, Pete and I were nowhere near some of the troubles that other couples face, but this weekend helped to shape up all of the tough edges. 


1 comment:

  1. As a missionary on staff with FamilyLife, it is so encouraging to read stories like yours...real stories from real people who were positively impacted by th WTR and to see that you are growing in your love and biblical understanding of Gods great design for you and your marriage. Thanks for sharing the impact of the weekend on you and your marriage. Very encouraging. Jeff

    ReplyDelete